The Club was founded in 1889 when Avondale was a rural farm settlement on the outskirts of Auckland. Horse racing was known in the district as far back as 1864 when there was racing at Henderson(TM)s Mill and at Helensville. Today the Avondale Jockey Club stages 16 fixtures each season, including four Saturdays, and races on a right-handed 1800m track at the same venue. The Club's operation includes training facilities for trainers, however horses are not stabled on the site. There are grass, sand, plough and two year old tracks and provision is also made for the education of Jumpers.
At the corner of Ash Street and Rosebank Road, Avondale. From the city take the North-western Motorway, exit at Waterview off-ramp, travel along Great North Road to Avondale.