The Company was established in 1964 by the late Mr Willem Kroef, the current Directors and Shareholders are second and third generation family members who are all actively involved in the day to day operations of the Company.
Heron Construction employs a team of highly skilled and experienced people dedicated to providing excellent service, a number of them have been with the Company for over twenty years. These key people are maintenance engineers, dredgemasters, tugmasters and operators.
In earlier years the Company concentrated on concrete construction projects such as pumping stations and bridges and was a pioneer in horizontal pipe thrusting and trenchless technology in New Zealand and the South Pacific. Today it operates mainly in the specialized areas of dredging and marine construction works.
Heron Construction Company Limited are Civil Engineering Contractors specialising in Dredging and Marine Construction Works.
Services provided include:
* Cutter Suction Dredging
* Backhoe Dredging
* Tug and Barge Operations
* Hydrographic Surveying
* Specialist Machine Hire
1. Capital Dredging for the deepening of harbours, rivers, channels and boat marinas using cutter suction and backhoe dredgers.
2. Maintenance Dredging of harbours, rivers, channels and boat marinas with cutter suction and backhoe dredgers.
3. Desedimentation Dredging of lakes, dams and intake structures for hydroelectric power schemes.
4. Excavation and backfilling of trenches for gas, oil, and sewer pipes on harbour and river crossings.
5. Tug and barge hire including split hopper barges, construction barges and sectional combi pontoon units.
6. Hydrographic Surveying.
7. Specialised Equipment hire and operation including pusher boats, long reach excavators, sand booster pumps and marine piling.
Booster Pumps are available to increase the pumping distances of both the cutter suction dredge KOTUKU and BEAVER. These include the 800 HP MTU diesel driven Warman 12/10 GGH pump and two Warman 12/10 FG pumps driven by 500 HP Cummins and Caterpillar diesel engines. The addition of these units allows pumping distances in excess of 3000m to be achieved.
Specialised Gear 4
Specialised Gear 6
The Company operates three long reach excavators including an EX700 with 18m reach and two EX200s with 15m and 18m reach. These machines are either land based or mounted on barges and are used for the deepening or clearing of oxidation ponds and marinas and the construction of breakwaters.
Specialised Gear 1
Specialised Gear 2
Medium sized excavators are available for ripping and dredging sandstones in shallow waters and for barge unloading operations. They include a 40 tonne Liebherr 944 and a 70 tonne EX700. Attachments are available for pile driving in marinas and oxidation ponds.
Specialised Gear 3
Specialised Gear 5
The workboat "White Pointer" is fully equipped for hydrographic surveying and the monitoring of dredging progress. All data processing and volume calculations are done in association with specialist hydrographic company, Timaru based Hunter Hydrographic Services Ltd.